Reading Notes: Seven Secrets of the Goddess, Part B


I liked the parallel painted in the statement, “A patriarchal society links women with nature and men with culture. Just as culture domesticates nature, men are asked to domesticate women.” It helps the thought process of the sexism throughout history make a little bit more sense…but also not really. Every man came from a woman, just saying. 

I had never heard of Lilith, so I looked her up and it is interesting how she is prevalent in the Jewish culture (from what I could tell) but not the Christian one. I wonder why this is?

I also appreciated the parallel drawn between isolation and how desirable a woman is. The video states: “Higher the social status, greater the isolation. Greater the isolation, the more valuable and desirable a woman became.”

I thought the explanation of women equating to honor  was very fascinating. I especially appreciated the explanation of this in regards to the Indian Epics. It is amazing how such antiquated ideas still carry into today’s culture. 

I liked the explanation of the various female groups that shaped the view of the world and how that view of the world changed to a more patriarchal mindset. 

I thought the part about God becoming male was interesting. It is true that many of us picture God as male, in fact, Jesus always refers to God as “Father”, but if men and women were created in the image and likeness of him, how can he only be male? 

I thought the comment about women being the symbol of purity that has to be rescued by the knight as well as women being the witch was fascinating as well. This is so true! Almost all of the Disney females need saving or killing. 

The discussion of Devi brings up another interesting point that the woman that is considered “all powerful” is still controlled by men. The part allowing them to dominate, but never letting them have dominion over her reminds me of My Big Fat Greek Wedding where the mother says that, “The man may be the head of the household, but the woman is the neck and she can turn the head any way she wants”. I love that line. So good!!

Below is an image titled, "Ashtalakshmi". 



Bibliography: Seven Secrets of the Goddess by Devdutt Pattanaik, Gaia's Secret 3-4.

Comments