Week 14 Story: Kausalya's Story


I had to do it. I had to send Rama away into exile, but I didn’t want to do it. Really. After what Kooni said, though, I didn’t see any other option. I was so excited for Rama to be crowned King. He’s a wonderful son, but when he became king I thought things would continue on as normal. 

When Kooni came in and spoke with me, though, I knew that would not be the case. I could not risk being cast out of the palace. Rama is a good man, but who’s to say that the power wouldn’t get to his head? I also have to admit that a part of me is so sick of how Bharata is always overshadowed by him. All throughout the time that the boys were growing up, the only one that Dasharatha has every paid any attention to is Rama. I know the other boys don’t mind, but as a mother I just hate to see my son not get equal attention from his father. He is just as good of a man as Rama is. He’s just not the chosen one. That being said, I should not have put him in this uncomfortable situation. Now even my own son hates me… and Rama’s kindness about the whole thing doesn't help.

To make matters even worse, I think Dasharatha is going to die of a broken heart. I may be his favorite wife, but even my love isn’t enough to save him now. Who would have thought that the boons I was granted for saving his life would one day be the same thing that kills him…

I regret what I did, but I can’t go back on it. For once in my life I want to be taken seriously for more than my beauty. 

Author's Note: I based this story off of the section of the Ramayana right after Kaikeyi has demanded her two boons from Dasharatha. I wanted to tell her story and create a little bit more empathy for her character. While I disagree with what she did, I think it was done out of self preservation and I wanted to convey that. 


Below is an oil painting by Raja Ravi Varma. It depicts King Dasharatha finding Kaikeyi collapsed on the tile floor before she demands her two boons. 



Bibliography: R.K. Narayan, The Indian Epics Retold: The Ramayana, pp. 81-112

Comments

  1. Hey Piper! I almost forgot about this part of the Ramayana until visiting this story! Your story made me remember how bad I felt for Kaikeyi after everything that she went through.. She was never all that invested in getting Bharata to the throne, but she was pressured and tricked into thinking that's what she wanted. Then, after she went the distance to remind Dasharatha, no one at all seemed to appreciate what she had done. I think you did a great job of pointing out the things that happened to her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Piper, I honestly do not remember reading this part of the Ramayana but it gave me an insight of this part of the story. I liked how you gave Kaikeyi more empathy as a character and you were able to go through with it in your story. I also liked how you added in in your author's note that you disagreed with what she did but she did it out of self-preservation. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Piper,
    I like what you did with your story. Growing up it was always clear who the bad guy in the story was because there was only one real image being shown. I like what you did with your story showing Kaikeyi point of view. It helps me relate more with her in the story and with what she did. I feel like in stories there most often isn’t one real bad guy. Just different sides wanting different things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Piper,
    I like your last story of the semester. Though at first glance, this story is short. The story is not lacking in any aspect! The story is simple, yet it conveys so many emotions that Kaikeyi felt when Ra,ma was sent to exile. I also like how you wrote this story in the style of Kaikeyi. The first-person element creates a more personable touch to the entirety of the story.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment