Story Lab: Empword


I liked what the author said about a stop and narrowing in on the events that “drive a story”. I thought the visual of a scope on page 88 really helped give a visual of what a scope is. 

It was good to have a refresher over the plot of a story: exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and resolution. The visual of this can be found on page 89 of the storybook. I knew about the plot of a story, which I now know is called Fryetag’s Pyramid, but, quite frankly, I had forgotten about it, so it was good to see again. 

I really liked the idea of in media res. I remember learning about this in high school English, but I forgot about it as well. I think this tactic is really smart because it draws the reader right into the middle of the action, and then the author has the opportunity to explain how these characters got to this point. I personally really enjoy stories like this. However, I do find that sometimes it can make the plot confusing if it is not done well. 

I appreciated what the author said about building the characters as real people. My favorite stories are the ones that have characters that are so well-developed that it’s as if you know them personally, or like you’ve met them, or you know someone like them. For me, characters are what make a good story great. I think the visual of this on page 94 is phenomenal. Breaking character development down into two ways  (directly and indirectly) is a really great idea. It gives the writer a really solid starting point. 

Directly: “through specific description of the character
Indirectly: “through the behaviors, speech, and thoughts of the character.

I think the note about how “good dialogue often demonstrated the traits of a character or the relationship of characters” is very useful in deciphering when to use dialogue and how that dialogue should be used. 

Below is an image of Freytag's Pyramid.


Bibliography: Empoword Chapter 2: Telling a Story.

Comments