Reading Notes: Seven Secrets of the Goddess, Gauri's Secret, Part D


I liked how they drew the comparison between Kali and Gaudi. I think it’s interesting that Kali is nature in it’s natural form, whereas Gaudi is culture. It makes sense that since Kali is nature, she is free to do as she wants and that reflects in her appearance, whereas since Gaudi is culture she is restricted and that also reflects in her appearance. 

I had never heard of prakriti (nature), sanskriti (culture) and brahmanda (imagined reality of every individual). This concept of an imagined reality is really disorienting to think about, but it holds a lot of truth to it. I think it is something really fascinating to consider. These three concepts are great tools to help how I view the stories I read in this class and how I write my own stories.

It is important to note that, in the Puranas, the male form (God) represents the mind and that the female form (Godess) represents the world around them. These two things go hand and hand with each other.

I liked how the video pointed out that since we as humans are trained to think that mind is superior to matter, this concept of man being mind and woman being matter “seems like get another case of gender prejudice”. That being said, the video goes on to say this represents the biology of the fact that a man can only “produce a child through a woman”.

It was good to get some clarification on what “asuras” and “devas” are. The asuras are usually (incorrectly) thought of as demons, and the devas are commonly (incorrectly) thought of as gods.

I thought it was fascinating how the God-mind is associated with verbs (creation, sustenance and destruction), whereas the Goddess-matter is associated with nouns (wealth, power, and language).

Below is a statue of Gauri from Mandsour India. 


Bibliography: Seven Secrets of the Goddess: Gauri's Secret by Devdutt Pattanaik

Comments