Reading Notes: Seven Secrets of the Goddess, Part A


I never knew Zeus’s background. I think it adds heightened excitement that Gaia had to save Zeus. The theme of a mother saving her son is prevalent throughout the Indian Epics, but especially with Kunthi in the Mahabharata. 

I think the spin on girl power is interesting. I found the part about Sedna and people harming their children to be very disturbing… but it does make for a good story. I really liked the bit about Adya. I thought it was interesting that all of these famous and powerful gods resulted from a woman that was even more powerful. I thought it was really weird that she slept with Shiva since he kind of is like her son. I liked the turn of events that came with her giving Vishnu her third eye. I didn’t like that she died, but again I thought it made for an interesting plot twist. I thought it was interesting that Brahma, Shiva, and Vishnu’s wives came from the remains of Adya… It’s interesting how Adya gave the gods life as well as their wives.

I really appreciated that the video pointed out the male fear of “invalidation” and how the coping mechanisms for this fear often are at the detriment of the female. It’s interesting how these social structures came about even early on. That being said, it is interesting that the womb is so valued for her womb, whereas men’s reproductive capabilities are not as necessary. 

I also found it interesting that matriarchal societies were actually, in some instances, the precursor to patriarchal societies.

I did not know that the word “virgin” had a different meaning at one point in time…It’s interesting that the definition at one point meant a woman “who was ready to bear a child”. I enjoyed the explanation as to how this concept occurs with Draupadi walking through fire in the Mahabharata before going to the next husband. This idea makes a lot more sense now that I know the context of it. 

I also found it interesting that the meaning of the word “whore” has changed drastically over time. I had no idea that it meant a woman who was free to sleep with any man. I appreciated that the story explained that these changes in the meanings of “whore” and “virgin” came about when society forced women to be bound to men.


Below is an image titled, "Subhdra in the service of Kunti and Draupadi" by Ramanarayanadatta Astri


Bibliography: Seven Secrets of the Goddess by Devdutt Pattanaik, Gaia's Secret 1-2.

Comments