Extra Credit Reading: More Jataka Tales, Part B


How the Monkey Saved His Troop

I did not like how quickly the King became so cruel. He should have been kinder to the monkeys. I thought it was wise that the Chief thought ahead and decided to figure out a way to save his troops. I feel like it’s a little unrealistic that the Chief would be strong enough to have his whole troop climb across his back without something happening, but I guess that’s just part of the story. I appreciated how the King at the end admired the Chief and saw that he was taken care of. I always love a good change of heart!

The Hawks and Their Friends

I thought it was very clever that the King Fisher kept putting out the fire instead of directly attacking the Hunter. That was a very creative distraction! I do wonder why the Father Hawk couldn’t do anything to distract the Hunter…? I really wanted him to try pecking his eyes out…but that’s just me. I have to say it kind of annoyed me that the Turtle moved so fast. That seems a little unrealistic… I was glad that the Lion came and scared away all the Hunters! They deserved that!!

The Brave Little Bowman

This story kind of reminded me of David and Goliath, not plot-wise, but in terms of a small man having a lot of power. I also like the idea of this uncanny friendship between the Big Man and the Little Man. I thought it was very sad when the Big Man was so mean to the Little Man. It’s interesting that the people’s words really got to the Big Man’s head. It goes to show how powerful words can be, especially when it comes to building up a person’s ego. I thought the Little Man's effort to help the Big Man was very admirable and showed that even though he was little, he had big character. 

This monkey looks exactly how I imagine the Chief monkey looked when he was helping his friends. 

Bibliography: More Jataka Tales by Ellen C. Babbitt, Stories 12-21.

Comments