Story Lab: TEDEd Videos: Style


The power of creative constraints- Brandon Rodriguez

I really appreciated  that the story talked about creative constraints. Often times it helps to know what is holding you back. I like that it then discussed how the constraints guide thinking to solve a problem and, sometimes, even makes the project better. I also appreciated that it discussed how some mistakes can be solutions to other creative constraints. 

What makes a hero?-Matthew Winkler

I thought going through the steps of the pattern that a hero goes through was very helpful and informative. The steps were as follows: Status Quo, Call to Adventure, Assistance, Departure, Trials, Approach, Crisis, Treasure, Result, Return, New Life, Resolution, Status Quo. I like that it then went on to explain that this journey exists in everyone’s life. This realization that this story fits in every character’s life is very eye opening and creates a whole new tactic for writing stories. I also thought the quote, “The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek” by Joseph Campbell was very inspirational and I really needed to hear that just on a personal level. 

How to build a fictional world- Kate Messner

I liked that she pointed out that fictional worlds, just like non-fictional worlds, “operate within a spectrum of physical and societal rules” and as a result, we believe that these characters are real. I really liked that she went through the steps that she uses to write. Here advice is as follows: start with a basic place and time, create a timeline about the world that you have created regarding how it came to exist, ask questions to draw out the details of your fictional world, and day to day life. I really liked the question at the end. She asks, “How does this world you created shape the individuals who live in it? And what kind of conflict is likely to emerge?” I liked that the list set up a world, and the questions set up a character. 

Below is a fun graphic of The Hero's Journey.
Bibliography: TEDEd Videos: Style



Comments