Reading Notes: More Jataka Tales, Part A


The Girl Monkey and the String of Pearls

I think this monkey is very clever. While I do not approve of stealing, I do kind of like the monkey’s character. The guard was very smart to think of the strings of glass beads. I thought it was very interesting that the monkey’s pride was her downfall. I have to wonder though, did the guard know that the monkey’s pride would get the better of her and that she would reveal that she had the beads? Or did he just expect her to come down and grab another handful of beads while still wearing the Queen’s pearls?

The Three Fishes

That was very smart of Very Thoughtful to pretend like he had broken free of the net. I must say that I am surprised that the fisherman didn’t think to check whether or not the net was broken though…instead they just let them go.

The Tricky Wolf and the Rats

I think it is interesting that the wolf as an animal is a universally tricky animal. It is very clever that the wolf came up with such a rational explanation for his odd behavior. It was also very clever that the Wolf ate the last of the rats, instead of trying to eat a bunch of rats at once. I thought it was very noble of the Chief of the Rats to stay at the back of the line and see what was going on. I was glad that the Rat was able to kill the Wolf and that the Wolf got what was coming to him!

The Woodpecker, Turtle, and Deer

I liked that these three animals worked together. They are not a group of animals that I would really think would encounter each other. I liked that the Woodpecker was smart enough to check both sides of the door for the Hunter. I thought it was so sad when the Hunter captured the Turtle, but I was glad to know that the Deer was willing to risk his life to help the Turtle in return. I was glad that the Deer had the forethought to encourage everyone to return safely to their homes and that the story had a happy ending. 

This image by Pearson Scott Foresman is how I imagine the wolf in the story The Tricky Wolf and the Rats.


Bibliography: More Jataka Tales by Ellen C. Babbitt, Stories 1-11.

Comments