Reading Notes: Mahabharata Videos, Part A


I thought this series did a great job of making all of the many plot twists and turns in the Mahabharata much more understandable. The beginning of the Mahabharata is particularly confusing. I think pointing out the fact that the Mahabharata was a series of actions and reactions spurred by karma caused the story to make much more sense. I thought the explanation of Shantunu and his relationship with Ganga was very clearly explained and helped lay a foundation for the rest of the series. One person/ plot point that I really needed clarification on was Bhishma. I didn’t understand how he got cursed with a life of celibacy. I thought he was cursed at birth because of something that he did in his past life (at least that’s what I thought R.K. Narayan’s translation of the Mahabharata detailed). However, in this version, Devavrata submits himself to a life of celibacy for his father, Shantanu’s, happiness. Whichever way you look at it, either way makes sense when you think of it in terms of Karma. It also explained how this one action spurred the rest of the actions of the Mahabharata. I also liked the explanation of “Amba’s Ruin”. In Narayan’s version of the Mahabharata, this detail is kind of glossed over so it was nice to get more of an explanation. I didn’t realize what an integral part Bhishma’s kidnapping of Amba was. This plot point especially drives the point of Karma home. I appreciated clarification about the issues that stemmed from Vyasa’s sons. I knew it was an issue that there were too many heirs to the throne, but I didn’t realize how deeply rooted the issue was. It was good to get a refresher about how all of these family lines tie together and how each individual’s actions cause a chain of reactions. 

Below is an image by B.P. Banerjee of Ganga presenting Devavrata to Shantanu.


Bibliography: Mahabharata Episodes 1-8

Comments