Reading Notes: Babbitt Jatakas Tales, Part A


The Monkey and the Crocodile

I appreciated how clever the monkey was and the fact that his cleverness was rewarded. I felt like this story is one of the less violent ones. I appreciate the fact that the story ended fairly amiably between the two.

How the Turtle Saved His Own Life

I really like the turtles character in this story. I think he is very quick on his feet when he acts as if the water was the worst fate that could ever befall him. I appreciate that his monologue is sort of melodramatic too. If read a certain way, the dramatic irony can almost come off as humorous. I think this is one of my favorite stories. 

The Merchant of Seri

I have to say, I am not crazy about the fact that this little girl encouraged her grandmother to get rid of a priceless bowl. I feel like that was foolish on both of their parts. I feel like there should be some moral that comes out of these two characters too… however, I do appreciate that the greedy merchant gets what he deserves and that the honest merchant is rewarded. I think the idea of karma is nicely incorporated into this story. 

The Turtle Who Couldn’t Stop Talking

I think this story brings up a very valid point. However, it is one of the more startling of the Jatakas Tales. That being said, the fact that it is so shocking also makes it incredibly effective as a story. 

The Ox Who Won the Forfeit

I really appreciate the fact that the Ox does not respond to cruelty, and that the man’s kindness is rewarded. I also like the fact that the Ox forgives the owner. I think this really speaks to the Ox’s character. I think this story has a very important message and really speaks to how animals and people should be treated. 

Below is an image of The Ox Who Won the Forfeit, which is from the French version by Ellsworth Young. It is titled, "Fort Comme Un Boeuf".



Bibliography: Ellen C. Babbitt, The Jatakas Tales, Stories 1-9.


Comments