Storybook Research: Nine Ideal Indian Women: Sita


I

I really liked that Sita’s backstory is laid out here. I knew she came from mother earth because it said so in “Sita Sings the Blues”, but I did not know how. 

VI

I like the relationship outlined between Sita and her parents throughout the entire first part of the story. I appreciate how much Janaka and Mithila love their daughter. I especially like the exchange between Rama and King Janaka at the end of the chapter about how Rama should cherish Sita. I think Rama’s affectionate response to her father also gives greater insight into how these two feel about each other. 

VII

I love the first paragraph of them heading back to the castle and how much they love each other. It’s so sweet. I especially like the line, “In the rath sat Sita, by her young husband, beaming with joy. Rama with his deep and loving voice was filling her heart” (pg. 132).

I also love the details of the wedding on page 135 as well as the foreshadowing of Sita’s life being a “crown of sorrows” (pg. 136). 

VIII

 I really like the additional insight that we get into Queen Kekaya's mind, as well as the insight that we get into her maid, named Manthara’s, mind. This is particularly found on pages 136-138. 

IX

I especially like how Kausalya’s exchange with Rama is given much more detail and insight. I think the dialogue between the two gives a much better understanding of their relationship with each other. This exchange is found on page 140. I like how this is contrasted with his relay of information to Sita. I think her monologue towards the end of page 141 really thoroughly outlines her deep affection for Rama. His romantic reaction to her loving words also outlines his deep affection towards her. It helps the reader to better understand why Sita loves Rama as much as he does and how completely devoted the two of them are to each other.


Below is an image from the book of Sita being crowned with flowers by Rama. One of the flowers has a thorn in it, causing Sita to bleed. 


Bibliography:Sunity Devee, Nine Ideal Indian Women: Sita, pg. 123-141, https://archive.org/stream/nineidealindianw00suni#page/122/mode/2up




Comments

  1. I like how you organized the different points and the nine ideals of the indian women in this project. I also like the relationship that was shown between Sita and her parents as it was something that was super important that should be highlighted in this passage. Something else I found important and something that should be mentioned was the fact that King Janaka and Rama cherished the beloved Sita. Rama stood out in this case because of his caring and affectionate side that shows through since his background and childhood showcased this point. This shows Rama and his father's relationship and how this plays a role in the way Rama lives his life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment