Reading Notes: Sita Sings the Blues Reading A


I have really enjoyed this movie so far! It’s very unique in that it has all kinds of artistic styles and kind of jumps around, but somehow it really works. I can’t quite figure out what is going on with Nina and Dave, but I’m wondering if it’s going to be some sort of full circle thing? Maybe? I’m not sure… but I’m intrigued by that whole scenario. Also, I can’t figure out why he’s super underwhelmed to see Nina even after she flies all the way out to India for him! What the heck, Dave? I especially like the three narrators! I think they are really funny. I think that script is really well written! I like how they give insight, background, and cultural context to the story, but it’s not boring. I think it’s really funny when they argue about all of the little details. The characters seem to have a good rapport and it adds humor and intrigue to the storyline. As far as animation style goes, I think my favorite is the brightly colored animations of Sita. I recognized that it’s the same picture as the cover image on my website for the class! That was really exciting to see! Also, what are the odds? Of course, my favorite aspect of the show is that it has musical numbers throughout it! I really love the peacock gramophone at the beginning too! The fact that the musical numbers are jazz/ blues inspired makes it even better! That’s actually what made me want to pick this project! I especially like that Sita is the one singing the songs. I feel like it really gives some insight into her character and creates this whole world that’s going on inside her mind. I also appreciate the humor interspersed throughout these musical episodes through the use of cartoon style, dramatic singing, and well-timed action! I think the part with the monkeys flying all around while she's swooning over Rama is really comedic gold!

Below is the image that I chose for my storybook, but it is also an image included in Sita Sings the Blues!



Bibliography Information: I used the Sita Sings the Blues Reading Guide Part A for this assignment. 

Comments