Reading Notes Ramayana A


Prologue
I really liked how the prologue set up the characters. I appreciated that Dasaratha’s character was happy and content and a good leader, but everything wasn’t perfect to start out with. I like that he did have to make an effort to have children and that the story started out with that struggle and imperfection, so to speak. It added some humanity and relatability to such a revered figurehead. I also like how Rama is introduced towards the end as a very friendly child that is kind to the people in the kingdom. 

Rama’s Initiation
I like that Sage Viswamithra’s character has a rich back story. I feel like that establishes a great deal of respect in the reader’s mind for his character. I like that he is a humble figure, as illustrated by him giving up being king. That being said, I like that he is still a strong figure, and can still hold his own, despite his resigning of power. I also really like the description of setting that applies to all kinds of senses. There’s a great line on pg. 18 of my book that says, “The air became suddenly tense”. (This is in regards to the exchange King Dasaratha and Sage Viswamithra in regards to his reluctance to give up his son, Rama.) I just think that line is such a great descriptor and really sucks you into the moment!

The Wedding
My absolute favorite story was definitely the part where Sita and Rama’s meet and it is true love at first sight. I am such a sucker for romance! The line, “Their eyes met”, is so simple, but yet it gives you all of the intensity of the moment. I really like that aspect of the writing. That there can be all of these amazing descriptions that entrance you, but then every once in a while there will be a very simple line that also immerses you in the story. I also really like how much the story plays on the emotions of the characters. I enjoy hearing about Sita’s complete distress over this boy she’s never even met and Rama’s longing for her in return. I think these very human emotions make these characters seem really relatable, and as a result causes the reader to be much more invested in their lives. 

Below is a picture of Lord Rama with Arrows, like the bow and arrow he pulled to gain Sita's hand in marriage!



Bibliography: R.K. Narayan, The Indian Epics Retold: The Ramayana, pp. 13-80

Comments