Extra Credit Reading Notes: The Mahabharata Reading A


The Eighth Baby

I noticed in this that there is a much stronger female presence. Especially since right off of the bat, Ganga declares her terms of a marriage to the king. I thought it was interesting how the concept of her being a great wife, but also drowning the babies created this disturbing, but very definite character. I also noticed that there are a lot of sexual undertones throughout this entire book and this underlying theme is presented first with the curse cast upon Devavratha. 

Though I do not agree at all with the fact that he stole away the ruler of Karna’s daughter without their consent, I did think this scene created some excitement. 

The theme of motherly figures is also very prevalent throughout this book, which I think is an interesting contrast to the Ramayana, which had a much more prevalent father/ son theme. This concept of motherly figures is first presented when Satyavathi tries to convince Bhishma to sleep with his sisters-in-law. 

The concept of women having multiple sexual partners, which really  comes to light when Draupadi marries the Pandavas, is first presented with Satyavathi when she sleeps with the Sage and gives birth to Vyasa. This theme of women having multiple partners becomes prevalent again with Pandu’s wife Kunthi, who sleeps with multiple gods and gives birth to Karna, Yudhistira, Bhimasena, Arjuna, Nakula, and Sahadeva. In total, Kunthi has five sexual partners just like Draupadi. I wonder if this is why she was so sensitive to the concept of Draupadi having five husbands?

House of Joy- And Ashes

I think this whole chapter is so entertaining, from the sneaky architect, to the whole escaping through the tunnels! Fascinating! I also love the concept of living in secrecy and the whole set up of the story. It makes for some really entertaining reading!

Bride for Five

I thought it was interesting that Kunthi overruled Yudhistira’s wish to take the food to the demon. Instead, she sent Bhima. I thought this was one of the rare instances in which a woman’s voice is actually stronger than the man’s. We see the underlying theme of the mother once again when Draupadi walks in and realizes that she would have five husbands upon the command of her mother-in-law. 

I really do love a good rags to riches story though!

I thought the story about Draupadi’s past life was really sad and I did not like that she had no say at all in her marital circumstance. 

Below is an image from the Wikipedia commons titled "Draupadi and Pandavas" by Raja Ravi Varma


Bibliography: R.K. Narayan, The Indian Epics Retold: The Mahabharata, pp. 205-242

Comments