Feedback Strategies

I read the articles How to Give Praise That Builds Your Child's Self-Esteem by Amanda Morin and Noticing the Good Stuff A Suggested Practice by Sherri Spelic. I really enjoyed both of these articles.

 I really liked that the article by Amanda Morin used a table with specific situations, suggested responses, and the link between the situation, response, and outcome. I am hoping to go into speech pathology in graduate school, and so I think building self-esteem will be essential for helping my patients not only improve their speech, but improve their attitude towards whatever situation has caused them to need my help.

I liked that the article by Sherri Spelic used good things to help issues. I liked how it gave a different perspective on helping students. Her approach was catered toward finding good patterns and seeing why those work and implementing those to help patterns that need to be improved upon. The concept of Working on What Works makes so much sense, and yet it's a thought that has never really occurred to me. I also really liked that her article included ways to help yourself find your successes. I feel like part of the human condition is being so much harder on yourself than you would be on anyone else. In a way, it's like we sometimes get some sort of sick satisfaction out of telling ourselves that we're not good enough. Like, it's something we deserve to hear or like it will keep us working harder so that we'll eventually reach the goal of being "good enough". The thing is though, with a "not good enough" mindset, being "good enough" is never possible. I liked that this article outlined simple, realistic strategies to help not only others, but also yourself.

I still believe that the best feedback is one that involves a person's strengths as well as provides constructive criticism or even just ways to improve upon what's already good. I think combining strengths with a suggestion as to how things could be improved upon helps increase self-esteem while also giving the person needing the feedback something to work towards.

Overall, I thought both of these articles brought up valid points that I will be able to use not only in this class but throughout life both in and out of the classroom.

Below is a sweet drawing of a plant with a wonderful life philosophy! We should remember to root for ourselves sometimes too!


Comments