Week 2 Reading Overview


I have chosen to read Narayana’s Ramayana for my Week 3 Reading. I chose this because I like that it will all be told in one voice and will be easy to follow. I also like the idea of having a paper back copy because I am sort of old fashioned and just really love the feeling of having a book in my hand and having the satisfaction of turning the pages. It’s one of the greatest, simple joys in life. (In my opinion. To each his or her or their own!) 

The first comic book I would like to read is The Gita. I have always heard about The Gita as well as guru’s. I am curious to see what these concepts and people actually are. I think it seems like a really good educational opportunity. The other one that I want to read is the story of Aja and the Elephant included in The Ancestors of Rama: A Noble Inheritance. Lots of my friends really like elephants, so that is what first intrigued me! Then, as I was reading the summary, it turns out the elephant is also a musician. As a music major, the fact that music is incorporated into the story really intrigues me! I’m excited to learn more about this epic! In regards to the videos, the two main videos that caught my eye were “Robert Goldman Sings from the Ramayana” and “Foods for the Gods”. The clip with singing caught my eye because I really enjoy listening to music from other cultures. The concept of ancient song and text also caught intrigued me. I am Catholic, so I have heard a lot of gregorian chants throughout my life. I was curious to see what similarities and differences these two types of songs would have. The one about food caught my eye because I also really, really like food. I was curious to see what types of food was considered fit for the Gods. I was very glad to see that Krishna was able to make butter one of those foods!

I chose this image of Krishna playing the flute because I liked that it involved a musical instrument, and I really have enjoyed all that I've read about Krishna! Plus, the colors are absolutely stunning!


Comments

  1. It is so nice to know that you attnd Catholic church I was brough up in Catholic church as well and I know exactly what you mean. I understand your love for instruments one fun fact is that Krishna used to play flute when everyone of his friends used to get tired of herding animals and playing the flute not just made the animals mesmerize by his tunes but the ladies of village used to dance on his tunes and so based on that today we have the festival of Navratri where people dance in circles imitating the gopis from the village dancing to Krishna's flute tunes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an interesting fact about Krishna! That is so cool that that fact about him has turned into a festival that people celebrate today!! Thank you for sharing!!

      Delete

Post a Comment