Reading Notes: The Mahabharata Reading C


Hundred Questions

I think it was interesting at the beginning of this chapter when Yudhistira dispatched Bhima and Arjuna to rescue Duryodhana. It really contradicted all of the things that Duryodhana has said about the Pandavas. It also really brings out the fool-hearted and covetous nature of Duryodhana. 

I thought the scene with the crane was an intriguing one. The repetitious nature of the brothers deaths was troublesome at first and confusing. I thought it was interesting that Yudhistira contrasted his brother’s actions. I thought it demonstrated the wisdom that Yudhistira generally has. One kind of random note, when the crane asked, “Who is a friend that you can count on as God-given?”, and Yudhistira responded with, “A wife”, I thought that was really sweet. I admired Yudhistira’s response about bringing Nakula back to life. I thought it also showed wisdom and kindness towards his step-mother. Of  course, my favorite part was when the Crane rewarded Yudhistira’s persistence and wisdom by bringing all of his brothers back to life. 

I like that Kichaka got what was coming to him when he tried to pursue Draupadi. I thought it was interesting that Yudhistira did nothing to help her when she asked for it. I wonder why? I also think it is interesting to note the relationship between the Queen and Draupadi. It was intriguing that she enjoyed Draupadi’s company so much that she would be willing to overlook her own brother’s death at Draupadi’s plea to keep her as a servant. 

Servitude


I really enjoyed the dramatic irony between the Prince and Arjuna. I love the line, “the Prince received him [Brihannala] with great condescension.” This is when Arjuna sends for Brihannala, his charioteer. I think it’s funny how Arjuna sent for his charioteer that could help the Prince and the Prince has no idea that Arjuna is actually himself. I also think there is a great deal of humor that goes along with the Prince actually being a huge wimp when it comes to battle!

Below is an oleograph image published around 1910 by Raja Ravi Varma titled "Keechaka and Sairandhri".


Bibliography: R.K. Narayan, The Indian Epics Retold: The Mahabharata, pp. 284-330.

Comments