Week 9 Story: Kausalya's Diary


My heart feels as if it has been ripped out of my chest…my dearest son, Rama, just came in and told me that he is leaving the kingdom for fourteen years…how can this be? Just yesterday he was involved in festivities that would prepare him for his coronation. I remember being overjoyed when Dasharatha came in and told me that he planned on making Rama king. Of course, I was not surprised. All of Dasharatha’s sons are very good men, but Rama was the obvious choice to become king. Ever since he was little there has always been something so special about him…I remember the day he was born. His presence brought a light and a joy to the world around him and me that I had never experienced. Throughout his life he has brought that same joy to everyone he has met. How could Kaikeyi do this to him? She of all people! She has always loved Rama as if he was her very own son. I would have thought she would be as happy as anyone to hear that Rama would be king! I should have known better though. I should have seen her hunger for power sooner… and of course it is no surprise that Dasharatha granted her wishes. It is no secret that she is his favorite wife. She always gets everything she wants. Usually I do not mind this fact. After all, she did save his life. But now she is using her two boons to make her own son king and to send Rama away for fourteen years. Fourteen years! How am I ever going to get through my days without the hope of a world that has my beautiful Rama in it? I suppose I shall figure it out…anyways, it is time to set aside my griefs and go comfort my husband. I have the next fourteen years to deal with my own sorrow. The king’s must be taken care of first. 

Author's Note: This is based on the part of the Ramayana when Rama comes to tell his own mother of his exile. I wanted to present Kausalya's perspective since her view of things is hardly given any attention to detail.

The image below is by titled "Rama Meets Kausalya".


Bibliography: R.K. Narayan, The Indian Epics Retold: The Ramayana, pp. 13-80


Comments

  1. Hey Piper! I really liked getting to read your story this week. I always think it is a really creative and unique idea when someone writes from a character's point of view and goes more into depth with what they are thinking. I really liked that you picked this character to focus on too because they are not given much of their viewpoint in the stories we read. Overall, I think this story is entertaining, and I cant wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Piper!
    I really like your take on this portion of the Mahabharata when Rama is banished from becoming king. I would have never thought to expand on this portion and I really like it. I like how you wrote it from Rama's mothers perspective and I like how you wrote it in a really dramatic way. The story was really well written and it was really easy to follow the story line..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Piper! I loved your story. What really got my attention was that you chose to do this from Kaushalya's point of view. You don't really get to observe her thoughts. on Rama being sent away in the Ramayana. At least not in the version that I read. It was really well-written. I can't think of any suggestions on how to make it better. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Piper! I really enjoyed reading your story. I think you present a really good, underrepresented perspective on the events and emotions which accompanied Rama's banishment in the Ramayana. One thing I would have liked to see here is Kausalya's interactions with other characters, especially Dasharatha. You did a good job giving Kausalya a unique, mournful, self-sacrificing voice throughout the story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Piper! I really like that you gave Kausalya a voice with your story. I had never thought about what Rama's mother must have felt when she heard that he was robbed of the throne and exiled for fourteen years. And then she had to learn that it was because of Kaikeyi, who she probably had a good relationship with because they helped raise each other's sons. And I did not think of how angry she would be with both Kaikeyi and Dasharatha. I really enjoyed your story!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment