Extra Credit Reading Notes: The Mahabharata Reading D


Action

One thing that really stood out to me in this section, was Bhima’s stark character change when he fears wiping out his own race. It was surprising to see a more sensitive side of hime, since the reader hardly ever sees that throughout the story. I thought it added a nice bit of depth to his character. 

I also thought Dhritarashtra’s reaction to his son’s treatment of Krishna was surprising. This is one of the only times that he has ever criticized his son. 

I appreciate the rapport between Kunthi and Draupadi. I think it’s nice that Kunthi has empathy for Draupadi’s situation and the way her sons treated Draupadi. I know the relationship between mothers and their sons is a very precious one, especially in Indian culture. I think it says a lot about Kunthi’s character that she is able to recognize her sons’ faults and meet Draupadi with understanding. 

Krishna’s character is by far one of my favorites. I absolutely love how direct he is. I think the part where he denies food from Duryodhana is almost subtly comical. I love when he says, “I am in no desperation. Nor have you endeared yourself to me by any act of yours.” I just love how it’s so direct and it’s also just such a subtle burn. 

Speaking of Krishna, I also really appreciate his wisdom. I thought it was very astute when he told Arjuna, “You are stricken with grief at the thought of those who deserve no consideration”. 

Also, the part where Krishna transforms into his godly form is just so epic and really adds a great aspect to the story. 

I thought the line, “the ground became soaked with blood”, while morbid, gave a really great visual. 


Victory and Sorrow

I really enjoyed the part where Krishna calls out Dhritarashtra on his hypocrisy. 

It drove me nuts that Yudhistira is the main one who started the war and then he complained at the victory. However, he eventually came around, so I appreciated that. 

Below is an image by William Jon on Flickr titled "Mahabharata War First day". 



Bibliography: R.K. Narayan, The Indian Epics Retold: The Mahabharata, pp. 330-374.

Comments