Storybook Plan

Storybook Sources/ Bibliography

The storybook sources that I intend on using are embedded in my post Story Book Research Part Two. I intend on using the Wikipedia pages of the female characters to find information as well as any additional sources that might be found through Wikipedia trails. I also intend to use the online source for the book Nine Ideal Indian Women: Sita, Promila, and Shakuntala by Sunity Devee. Of course, R.K. Narayan's Ramayana and Mahabharata are also great resources for my storybook project.

Story Ideas

I think it would be interesting to go in chronological order throughout the Indian Epics. Depending on how many stories I need, this is a brief summary of the ideas that I have.

I'd start out with Sita's encounter with Rama. Sita's story could be multiple entries and detail her meeting Rama, her wedding, venturing into exile with him and all of the little details included in those experiences. Then, I could go on to discuss her experience of being captured by Ravana and eventually being saved by Rama. If I do all of Sita's stories, then I would do less of the other characters. However, if I did only one  post of Sita's story, then I would do more posts of the other characters.

Next, I'd like to discuss Kooni. I'd like to start out with her hearing about Rama becoming King and then flashback to when he used to make fun of her for her hunchback and explain why she resents him to the point of convincing Kaikeyi to send him into exile.

Next, I'd like to discuss Kaikeyi's story. I'd like to talk about her leaving home to mary Dasharatha, her saving his life, the experience of being his favorite wife, and eventually the hatred she feels towards Rama and how her emotions turn so quickly.

I'd also like to discuss Kausalya's story and the grief she went through losing her son in exile.

If I need additional story material I'd like to discuss Shakuntala from the Mahabharata, however I'm not sure what I would like to discuss in her story as I have not read the Mahabharata. Based on my research though I think there are three main topics that I would like to hit, which are her meeting the king, the king forgetting her, and then being reunited with him.

Style
I want to do each story as a first person narrative. I think I'll do a combination of flashbacks and present narratives as well.

Main Ideas
I want to give some insight as to each of these female character's emotions and really explain their stories and give them more of a voice in these epics. I think they exemplify a lot of strong qualities and contribute a lot to the story, but I feel like their characters kind of get brushed aside. I'd like to give them more of a voice.

Below is a lithograph image from Wikipedia of "Panchakanya", which are the five virgins or maidens. Mandodari, Ahalya, and Tara are all women from the Ramayana and are considered to be one of the Panchakanya. Sita is also sometimes considered to be one of them.



Comments