Reading Notes: Sita Sings the Blues Reading B


I really liked that the intermission could be viewed as a happy ending where Rama and Sita and up together, or you could go onto the other half of the movie where Sita goes into exile. Also, I just thought the intermission overall was so cute with all of the characters running in and out of the frame and all of the audience sounds. It was so clever! I liked that the beginning of this introduced a new artistic style and a new musical sound. I felt like it helped clarify the distinction between the two halves even further. I also thought the unclear words in the song helped foreshadow the reeling feeling that was soon to go through Sita’s mind when she is sent into exile. I also liked the comparison drawn between Sita and Nina. I thought that was clever how it gave a modern day comparison to how Sita must have felt. I also really appreciated the fact that the three narrators discussed Sita’s actions when she was in exile. I thought it gave some good perspective on different aspects of Sita’s devotion. On one hand, her loyalty to Rama is truly astounding and I suppose, for the purpose of the story, that makes sense. However, in modern times, we would tell Sita’s character to move on with her life, kind of like Nina had to. I thought it was particularly interesting that in this movie, Sita’s perspective harbored no ill will towards Rama. Even after he took in the sons that she raised and left her to prove herself again, she still loved him unconditionally. I still find it ironic that Rama feels so bad for letting this horrible thing happen to her with Ravana, and then he hurts her far worse than Ravana ever could. It doesn’t make sense to me, but I really appreciated the new perspective that it gave me on Sita and her love for Rama. 

Below is an image of Sita returning to her Mother's womb from Nina Paley's Sita Sings the Blues after her sons have been reunited with Rama.


Bibliography Information: I used the Sita Sings the Blues Reading Guide Part B for this assignment. 


Comments