Reading Notes Ramayana B


Two Promises Revived
I really like that Sita is a strong enough wife to be willing to go into exile in the woods with Rama. As someone who is not a huge fan of nature in general, I really admire that power move. I also like that it sets her up as a strong female character and shows that she has substance in addition to her beauty. I really appreciate the loyalty that she and Lakshmana have. I think that quality is rare and really sets them apart as characters. 

Encounters in Exile
I really enjoyed meeting the character Jatayu. I liked that the connection he had with Dasaratha. I thought it helped keep Dasaratha alive in spirit and gave the story an element of comfort. I also really like that Jatayu’s character comes back later, even though his ending is sad. 

On a different note, I super did not like when Karnavalli was introduced to the story. However, I did feel like I was watching like an episode of The Bachelor, but it was like Ramayana edition. Karnavalli or Soorpanaka as we later find out, is that one chick that everyone loves to hate. She sticks around and you can’t stand her, but at the same time you kind of want her to stick around because if she leaves there’s no drama for the rest of the story! Sita on the other hand is the girl that you know is literally perfect and should get that Neil Lane ring and final rose at the end, and you just really hope that the guy sees that. All of that being said though, I think having a character that you love to hate but that is also relatable (like when Soorpanaka’s heart was breaking for Rama) is the key to creating a good villain. It’s important to have characters that the reader can relate to or at least feel something for even if it is just the slightest bit.

The Grand Tormentor
I like how grandiose Ravana’s character is made out to be. It makes him that much more intimidating, but it also makes you root for Rama that much more. His character is also presented in such a way that you just love to hate him, which as I mentioned earlier, makes him a truly great villain. I like the build up of his pride, as this will make his demise that much more satisfying. I also like that in this section, Sita’s feisty qualities are brought to light. It continues to build her up as a strong female figure, which is awesome especially considering the time period in which this was written. My favorite part of this, section, though it is also the saddest part, is the reappearance of Jatayu and his truly noble act to try and save Sita. It gives the reader that much more respect for his character and allows the reader to feel some sadness amidst their anger for the situation. It also adds validity to Jatayu’s friendship with Dasaratha.

This  is an image from The David Collection in late 16th century Copenhagen of Sita shying away from Ravana disguised as a sanyasi.


Bibliography: R.K. Narayan, The Indian Epics Retold: The Ramayana, pp. 81-112

Comments