Reading Notes: Narayan's Ramayana Section C


Vali
I liked the “word to the wise” at the beginning of the chapter, which pointed out how Rama’s actions later in the story could be misunderstood. Actually, this is exactly what happens when Rama destroys Vali. I liked how Vali’s character was such a brute. Like Soorpanaka, you really love to hate his character. I appreciated all of the backstories given and found the parallel between Vali and Sugreeva, versus Rama and Bharatha interesting. I thought it was interesting how Sugreeva taking over his brother’s place on the throne enraged Vali, whereas Bharatha taking over Rama’s place on the throne pleased Rama. I also appreciated the foresight of Vali’s wife in the story. I thought it helped present her as a subtle, but strong female character. If I’m honest, I also liked how him not listening to her helped attribute to his demise, since he has been so awful to her for so long! All of that being said, I appreciate the redemption that Vali had at the very end of the chapter. I thought it brought about an element of hope and renewal that is always welcomed at the end of any story. 

When the Rains Cease
I liked that Sugreeva does finally get to rule as king. (However, I do not like that he becomes lazy and complacent, but he apologizes in the end and does come through on his promise, so I can forgive him.) I also really like that the beginning of this chapter gives the backstory of Rama and Kooni’s relationship. When Rama advises Kiskinda on how to treat others, he recalls how he used to taunt Kooni, which gives a reason as to why she might have sought revenge when she saw that Rama was about to be crowned. This also helps us to have empathy for Kooni, whom otherwise the reader might completely despise. It also shows that Rama has gained wisdom through his faults. 

Memento from Rama
I like how obstinate, strong, and loyal to Sita is to Rama even when she is at her lowest point in Lanka. I also liked how Hanuma used a bad situation of having his tail lit on fire to his advantage by destroying Lanka. 

Ravana in Council
I like the wisdom and kindness that Vibishana expresses. 


Across the Ocean
I like how Rama uses the rationale of kindness to justify accepting Vibishana into his council. 

Below is an image of Sugreeva challenging Vali with the reassurance of Rama's protection!


Bibliography: R.K. Narayan, The Indian Epics Retold: The Ramayana, pp. 113-163

Comments

  1. Hi! I liked how you mentioned the phrase, "Word to the Wise" as I also found it very important throughout the Ramayana readings.I feel that if you elaborated on the "Across the Ocean" segment as well as the "Ravana in Council" segment, you would end up having more to talk and write about when it comes time to write your story. Just a suggestion! Vali was one of my favorites as well throughout the Mahabaratha and Ramayana stories as she was innocent as well as intelligent. Even though Rama did defeat Vali, Vali was the light at the end of the tunnel as well as a sign of hope throughout the reading.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment